I am known to my husband, on a somewhat aggravating level, as an unconventional person. I like odd stuff; I do odd things. I'm that person who knows a thousand bands that you've never heard of. So try not to roll your eyes when I say that I actually enjoyed jury duty today. I'm not saying that I like it because I'm strange. I'm merely suggesting that we consider giving jury duty some credit where it's due; perhaps give it a slightly less repulsive reputation. Aside from getting paid a whopping 25 bucks for the honor of serving your civic duty, what's the issue? Not having to go to your regular crappy job? Gee Whiz… Here's how my day of J.D. stacked up against my normal blah.
I got up, drove downtown. No construction, no traffic, and the ride was shorter. I got all-day parking in a great lot two short blocks away for 5 bucks. I got right into the courthouse with no problems. We had an awesome juror-wrangler lady who was hysterically funny and explained everything to us. I got to read my book for two hours and then watch "Men in Black". Not shabby, eh? Did I mention that my whole endeavor was air-conditioned? Ahhh….. Anyway, I got an hour and forty-five minutes for lunch. I went for a walk in the beautiful weather through Greektown, and I actually had a cop tip his hat at me. I had lunch at The End Zone, naturally. Two piece broasted chicken with baked beans and potato salad. Delicious. Because the place is permanently packed, I ended up sitting with three old bitties taking a break from a gambling bender.
After lunch, I stopped at Astoria Pastry Shop for a strawberry shortcake. I was amazed at how accessible the place is during the day. I was able to sit and enjoy my strawberries and whipped cream. I got a coffee to go and made my way back to the courthouse.
Now, I've always considered people-watching a premier sport, and Detroit is prime for just that. One lady on the street kept yelling "its election time!" continuously. Turns out, she was part of the trial I was waiting to be selected for. Go figure. In the end, it really didn't matter as the case settled and we were excused. On the way to my car, I passed a man having a lively phone conversation "You gotta come pick me up! I can't bring no goddamn weedwacker on the bus!!". Needless to say, I'm looking forward to my next summons.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment